Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Return of Abby van Alstine, The Necromancer


I've been trying to collect the Necromancer ever since I picked up issue #1 at the Php 20 bin at Comic Odyssey. I loved the art of Francis Manapul, and the story itself is very captivating. I guess that's largely in part due to it's supernatural theme, and Lord knows I love anything supernatural.


First announced in 2001, she was introduced in her own mini-series written by Joshua Ortega and drawn by Francis Manapul in 2005. The story revolves around Abby van Alstine, a teenaged girl who was given supernatural powers that she could not control.The Necromancer ran for six issues, with 2 story arcs: "Something in the way" and "Litium".

So far I only have until isuue #3, and I'm still on the look out for the remaining 3 issues, as well as Top Cow's Pilot Season which was her last appearance in print. That was in 2007.

Cover of Witchblade #137

Fast-forward to today, Newsarama reports that she's making a comeback! Abby makes a guest appearance in this month's issue of Witchblade. According to Witchblade writer Ron Marz, The Necromancer plays a part in Top Cow's big story arc Artifacts, which is why she is being "re-introduced" in issue #137 after her short absence in print.

Witchblade #137 comes out on July 28th.